Saturday, January 14, 2012

A New Pencil Sharpener-Maybe!

I was revisiting my Martin Luther King Jr. lesson plans for the week and came across a writing bulletin board that I have done with my students in the past.  We read about MLK Jr. and make a list of  his accomplishments.  We talk about what he is most known for...his "I Have A Dream!" speech.

The students think about a dream that they might have.  It can be one for their own personal life, our school or their future.  The theme of the lesson is "Every Good Thing Begins with a Dream!"

The students then make a mini head clone out of construction paper.  (They really get into this!)  Their dream then goes in a thought bubble and can be illustrated.  I hang them in the hall on the board to display our various dreams. 


My dream during the year I first taught this lesson revolved around pencil sharpeners.  I believe that by the time January rolled around that year, I had gone through three or four pencil sharpeners.  They were lousy!

I just wanted to find a pencil sharpener that would work!!! {I'm still on the maddening search!}

In my blog stalking, Farley over at Oh' Boy 4th Grade, is offering a giveaway!  {YES! It's supposedly the worlds BEST pencil sharpener!}

So here goes:

Currently:
Listening:  "Waiting for Tomorrow" by Mandisa
Loving:  The laughter that my children bring to my life.
Thinking:  I could really use a snow day to organize my classroom!
Wanting:  One of those really cool pencil sharpeners!
Needing:  The merger mess at school to be done!
OLW:  SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment