I reflected on my personal reading life, and found that I love to read because of the adventures I can go on. My father would take me to the library every summer as often as we needed to so I could participate in the Summer Reading Program. Nothing motivated me like some free pencils, visors, or a new book of my own. Sadly, not many students are motivated by these things any more, and children who are avid readers typically don't need that kind of motivation.
I asked my daughter, an avid reader herself, why she reads so much! She said that she hears her friends talk about video games and how they get bored after awhile because the game never changes, or they've played all the levels. She also added that a book never runs out of batteries, and is always ready to go. In her words, "Reading never gets boring, because every time you read it's different." Wow! She so elequently said it...
How can I get my fourth graders to see this value in reading? That is my goal this summer, to come up with ways that I can motivate my students in the coming school year.
MY LIST OF MOTIVATORS, so far...
1. Begin a 100 book challenge to motivate and require a variety of reading. Students who complete the 100 book challenge will earn rewards...not sure what yet!
2. Institute a Classroom Book Club. My lunch has been moved to the middle time slot this year, which will help me better provide a meeting time for all three classes to meet and discuss a selected book. I will create sign-up sheets for a variety of books that we will read together. Only students willing to read the books and discuss them on Wednesdays at lunch should sign up for the club...
3. Add a Book Blog to my classroom website! Students can submit in writing their book review that will be edited and added to my website under a new tab. We will publish their review!
4. Book Talks every Friday. Every Friday at the end of our literacy time, students can check in and share what book they are reading. We can even check in to the Book Blog to see who has been published and find out what they have to share!
That's all I have for now, but I am still looking for ideas. If you have any, please share!



Well, one lousy thing that has happened since this post...I ordered 20 copies of Tuck Everlasting from a LARGE, well known book seller amont schools...and instead of getting the book, I paid shipping of 20 free book slips because they couldn't fulfill the order...now I have to find a new selection! Off to search again!
ReplyDelete