Sunday, January 27, 2013

Technology

I have had a love/hate relationship with technology in my classroom. The three computers I've had in my classroom have all been working one day and not the next. I had my Smartboard installed last March, but it seemed to follow the same path as other technology materials in my classrooms. The county technology "experts" wanted to argue that it was working fine, until I had to show them. Someone from Charlotte had to come and figure out what was wrong. Needless to say, I couldn't get much use out of the Smartboard for the previous school year.

This school year, I wanted to really make headway with using technology. I have found great presentations to use that tie in to our Reading Street reading books. The students have really enjoyed the activities and animation provided on those.

Our PTO helped us by providing the installation of mounts for the projectors in our classroom, which opens up a HUGE amount of floor space in our classrooms. All electronics are now operated at my teacher computer.

I continue to utilize my Netbook computer for the 3D reading assessment. But, even the Netbook is on its way out of service. I am allowing my friend down the hall to use my device as hers is completely out of service.

I decided that as a graduation gift to myself, I would purchase an iPad for my own personal use. I reviewed several apps and thought I could make it worth the money.

I downloaded the mClass app for the reading assessments (and, my they look so much better on the iPad).

I also found some teacher organizational apps to use.

I downloaded Record of Reading developed out of Clemson University. Now all of my running records can be completed on my iPad and e-mailed to me as documentation for all my TIER students.

I also downloaded Confer. This app allows me to create my reading groups and document lessons, notes, observations on student behaviors as they are reading. These notes can all be e-mailed to me and printed as well.

The thing I am most excited about is that I won't have to create another notebook again. All of my student records will be stored in my iPad, easily accessible when I need them at meetings.

I'll continue to post how they are helping me, as well as other apps that are helpful. Since this iPad was purchased by me for my personal use, I won't be letting the kids use it. I want to focus on apps, as well as ways to use this that will help me become a more organized and productive teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment